Re: bi

Ralph Winslow wrote:

> Rick wrote:
> >
> <snip>
> > My point is if Linux is moving forward in time why do vi-hards get up-in-arms
> > about it being left out.  vi is good for what it is.  I think it should move
> > into the GUI world since it is really too much for this application.
>
> What would one need a real editor for in the GUI world? You don't need a
> text editor for playing Tetris and Solitaire, do you?  One only needs a
> real text editor when one is trying to accomplish some work, and one
> wouldn't want to piss away 97% of one's system resources on color and
> mouse handling and reshaping windows and crap like that, ... would one?

vi is a modal editor, so has a much steeper learning curve than
something like ae. I stay versed in vi commands because I have to be,
not because I want to be. There may be a better bare-bones editor for
debian than ae, but it should not be vi.

--
-Mike Horansky, Leland Consultant (http://consult.stanford.edu/)
 moho@cyclone.stanford.EDU

OPINIONS EXPRESSED BY ME ARE NOT NECESSARILY SHARED BY MY EMPLOYERS.