Re: ppp redial problem

On Fri, 11 Apr 1997 01:32:36 -0500 (EST), Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:

>A weird thing is happening to my pppd. (version 2.2.0f-19)  I added the
>persist option to /etc/ppp/options so that if the connection went down, it
>would immediately be brought back up again.  However what happens is it
>attempts to dial and then stops short.  It does this about three times and
>then stops.  I thought maybe the modem wasn't re-initializing properly
>(It's a rather old AT&T DataExpress 28.8) so I went to my chat script and
>added ath,at&f before the dial string.  ath should hang up my modem and
>at&f should reinitialize it.  I have checked these commands with the modem
>manual.  This didn't work either.  In fact I was unable to use pppd until
>I rebooted.  (yes even stopping it and starting it again didn't work.)
>The odd thing was I could redial with minicom.  So there is something
>wrong with pppd or my setup of it.

I'm seeing things like this once and awhile. I just went to a serial port
that only provides Rx, Tx, RTS, and CTS.

I have to set DTR ON all the timeon the modem, and it seems to work fine,
but sometimes it will not redial correctly. It also takes it awhile to
redial, where as before with full modem control it redialed right away when
a connection was lost.
lost.

>The immediate emergency is gone.  I have found a small program called
>pppupd which can watch the connection and bring it back up again if
>needed.  This seems to be able to redial without any problems.  Still I'd
>like to get to the bottom of the ppp problem if anyone has any ideas.

Where did you get this?

Elite MicroComputers   908-541-4214      http://www.psychosis.com/emc/