purging latex

hello,
	I'm upgrading from 1.2 to bo and at tetex-*'s request am trying to run "dpkg
--purge --force-depends latex". This is the response I get:

(Reading database ... 31313 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing latex ...
Removing latex format(s) using install-fmt-base(8)
/var/lib/dpkg/info/latex.prerm: install-fmt-base: command not found
dpkg: error processing latex (--purge):
 subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 127
Building new latex format(s) using install-fmt-base(8)
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 127
 latex

Thanks for any help,

--
digger