timezone package: in Indiana, US

Well, it's the time of year for time zone questions.  I have a
machine in Indiana, US, which has a system clock set to UT.  I
use xntp to keep it in sync.

I look forward to the summer when Illinois and Indiana are on the
same time (CDT and EST respectively) because I don't have to
remember to add an hour when I go to IU - not that it's that
hard, but life is complicated enough.

My linux boxes are all using Debian and the timezone package.
Timezone allows me to set the zone to US/Eastern, but Indiana
isn't really in US/Eastern since they don't use daylight savings
time.  After EST went to EDT over the weekend, times on the
machine in Indiana are 1 hour ahead of the rest of the Hoosiers.
I suppose I can fix this by setting TZ=EST5 in the start up
scripts.  Is there a "best" place to do this?  Or a way to do it
more cleanly with the timezone package?

I suspect that machines in Arizona have similar problems.

Mike

--
Michael A. Miller                              miller5@uiuc.edu
  Nuclear Physics Lab, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign