Re: RPM

On Mon, 31 Mar 1997, [iso-8859-1] Nicolás Lichtmaier wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Mar 1997, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
>
> > Unless GCC is some all powerfull god like compiler this exact problem
> > exists in Linux too. Any shard code system basically breaks badly when you
> > try and use C++. The problem is quite simply that C++ has no standards for
> > binary class layout and no standard way to specify an order in the class
> > as well as having no way to upgrade base classes without breaking the
> > derived classes.
>
>  I have read that Opendoc/SOM/Bento, etc would probavly be distributed
> under GPL. And SOM is the solution to sharing classes... We'll what
> happens...

I have used SOM before, unless it is integrated into the compiler (Direct
to SOM is what IBM calls it) it is very irritating. Furthermore SOM has
problems with some of C++'s features, mostly to do with multiple
inheritance. Other than that, C++ encapsulated in SOM would be a
wonderfull thing to have in Linux!

Jason