Re: Solved - Cannot get full speed download on ppp

This is a follow up to my previous problem since i have not given up.

I tried to download file to /dosa mounted on /dev/fd0. The result
was as good as downloading to /dev/hdc1 ( so floppy can do better than
my /dev/hda ?? of course i do not believe it).

After a few days, I started to think about kernel config. When i
checked, i realised that the kernel i only enabled 'enhanced ide
driver'. I thought this should look after /dev/hda without problems.

Anyway, this time i reenable the old hard disk driver to look after
/dev/hda (the help said that the first drive will be managed
by this driver and the rest will be managed by the enhanced
ide driver). Then i did a recompilation of the kernel and run lilo.

After reboot, I tried downloading file again onto /dev/hda and this
time transfer rate back to normal of 3.1k bytes per second. ifconfig
showed that ppp0 did not have any errors.

I guest it may be my mother board's ide controller not working well
with the enhanced ide driver for the first hard disk.

For those who are interested, the controller is ALi14xx series.

Now I am very happy with my linux box.