Re: Package configuration philosophy

> > It seems that someone is packaging LinuxConf. This software can
> > also take care of the Linux's boot process, but the Debian
> > developers seems don't know about it... :-(
>
> Linuxconf has some nice features but it has the serious drawback that it
> replaces the sysvinit.  This would break every single program that needs
> to be started at boot time.  Using Linuxconf would require changing
> nearly every important package so that they worked with linuxconf's
> non-standard boot script system.  Co-ordinating a massive change like
> this would be a nightmare...and I do NOT believe that the end result
> would be worth it - the same or better results can be achieved with far
> less radical changes to current standards.

Well, so, excuse me. Butt the GNU/Linux hackers doesn't like
challenges? I think making *all* the softwares compatible with
LinuxConf could be not a nightmare, but a very cool hacking
development, couldn't it? By the way, Debian is not commercial,
so we have veeeeery muuuuuch time to make it work. If the work
takes 3 years (!), what's the problem? In this list, I saw
someone saying that "the nature of Linux is change". So, why
not change it? The guys at LinuxConf are hardly working to
make their software compatible with RedHat, Slackware and
*Debian*. If we, instead of getting in their way, go to help
them?

But I'm not a Debian developer (for now). So, if you don't
want this, I'll not continue to speak about LinuxConf. But
that it could be cool, it could! ;-)

Alexander Gieg

By: Alexander Gieg
E-mail: agieg@brworld.com.br
IRC: AlexG

    There will be a time in which *all* the computers
         in the Earth will be using Linux! Amen!