Re: The broken PPP saga continues!

On Fri, 28 Feb 1997, CoB SysAdmin wrote:

> So, looking at it all like this, it appears that the conversation goes fine
> until they agree on IP addresses. After that, the server doesn't see any
> of the client's echo requests. However, the client DOES see the single
> on that comes from the server.
>
> Now, I *DON'T* think this is an problem with LCP timing settings. The LCP
> echoes are only to preserve the connection. If I played with those, that
> would only make the connection stay up longer before quitting.... but I
> still wouldn't get any IP packets through... no matter HOW long the modems
> stay connected.
>
> The only things different between this connection and the Win95 conenection
> are the following:
>  1 - The Win95 connection disabled CCP
>  2 - The Win95 disabled compression (of any kind?)
>  3 - The Debian connection disabled bsd compression.
>
> Any ideas?

1. try disabling (comment out or delete) the lcp-echo-interval and
   lcp-echo-failure options...on the client and/or on the server.

2. try putting -bsdcomp in the options file for both the server and the
   client. Alternatively, put "bsdcomp 15,15" in and make sure that the
   bsd_comp module is loaded on both machines....add it to /etc/modules
   or load it by hand with "modprobe bsd_comp".  This will probably make
   no difference but it is worth a try.

3. have you compiled your own kernel?  if not, try doing so, making sure
   that ppp is compiled as a module.  If you have, is ppp a module?

4. is 'serial' listed in /etc/modules? is 'ppp' listed in /etc/modules?
   if not then they will eventually get unloaded by kerneld.

5. is /dev/modem configured correctly with setserial?  check your
   /etc/rc.boot/0setserial script.

6. what is /dev/modem pointing to? a ttyS device or cua device? if cua,
   then change it to ttyS....cua devices are obsolete.

7. are you running mgetty on the same port? if you are, then you
   definitely want to use ttyS devices rather than cua...i often set this
   up so that the dial-out line can be used as an emergency dial-in line
   if the ppp link fails to establish for some reason (e.g. cron is dead).
   Haven't had to use this often but it is very handy when i need it.

   You will also want to add 'lock' to the ppp options files.

8. what versions of pppd are you running on the client and on the server?

craig