Re: cdrom problem...

On Mon, 31 Mar 1997, smorrill wrote:

> I have a base Debian system installed from floppies on my 586 133mhz.
> My hd is partitioned for Windoze95 and for Debian.  I ran fips, am using
> a boot mgr, everything going fairly well until I get to the point of
> trying to get my cdrom running under linux.
>
> Please help, 'cause I'm rippin' my hair out here!
>
> I've got a "quad speed" "creative labs" cdrom with a soundblaster 16
> sound card. It works fine with winblows...  I bought my Debian CD from
> CheapBytes with all the goodies on it, and there it sits, patiently
> waiting...
>
> I've read the howto's that I think apply, I couldn't find anything in
> the dejanews archives, and I even bought my Linux in a Nutshell book.
>
> I've tried the ATAPI/IDE driver, nothing.  I have no SCSI devices in my
> system.  I bought this system in 1995..were creative labs cdroms still
> proprietary, or interfaced thru the sound card?

If the cdrom does not have a proprietary interface, then it should be an
IDE device.  You may need to specify the line hdc=cdrom on the boot line
to get it recognized,  e.g. 'boot: linux hdc=cdrom'.  If it is
proprietary, the only driver that might work, AFAIK, is the spbcd driver
which you can probably choose to load as a module when you configure the
kernel modules from the drivers disk.

Good Luck.  Syrus.

--

Syrus Nemat-Nasser <syrus@ucsd.edu>    UCSD Physics Dept.