Re: Strange ppp message

Jim Smith wrote:

> Here is the latest entry from my /var/log/ppp.log file, only the last
> line was copied, but that's the one I'm questioning.
>
> Mar 28 22:07:29 jim pppd [414]: Cannot determine Ethernet address for
> proxy ARP
>
> Don't know what it means, but I remember something about ARP from the
> Kernel compilation.

This results from the 'proxyarp' option being passed to pppd. Check
your /etc/ppp/options file or the command line which you use to
start pppd for this option and remove it. Proxyarp allows you to
essentially do routing to ppp-connected machines from an ethernet.
It would seem that you don't have ethernet so you don't need and
can't profit from this.

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com