floppy boot problem

I tried to make a boot floppy by copying the kernel on the floppy:
cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/zImage /dev/fd0
it works except that when I boot from the floppy my Adaptec 1542
isn't recognized at boot; when I boot with the same kernel from the
hard disk the 1542 is recognized without problems;
I am sure it's the same kernel on the floppy and the hard disk
and the Adaptec support is built-in the kernel and it's not a module.

does somebody as an idea of what's happening?

thanks in advance

Hubert
hubert.fauque@wanadoo.fr