Re: RPM and dpkg merger

> >  Please note that having a single packaging standard won't give the
> > ability to `cross-install' packages. The distributions differ in the
> > filesystem layout, and in the way many services are implemented.
> >
> The big problem for me is that if the packaging systems converge then so
> will the filesystem layout and the way many services are implemented. This
> reduces the freedom of two distributions. I don't see this as
> strengthening anyone.

What we really need is a way for the installer to set up and maintain
a policy file that establishes the filesystem layout and where
various programs are installed.  I don't see how being trapped
into forever using the layout philosophy from some distribution
is a strength for free software.

I do realize that this would be an enormous job for existing packages
but it seems like it could be done for new work.

Les Mikesell
  les@mcs.com