Re: Lilo booting

On Sun, 30 Mar 1997, Chris Trantau wrote:

> I finally got my CD ROM working and my packages installed but i still have
> a question.
>
> Is there a way to make like a menu that appears when i start my computer
> that asks me which OS
> (win95/linux) i would like to go to ?
>
> I have tried making my Linux partition bootable, but it goes there
> automatically and when my Windows
> partition is set as bootable it goes there.  Should i make them both
> bootable (is this possible?) so that
> it forces lilo to make a choice?

Yes. You can even do it from the rescue disk. When you get the lilo
prompt, you can type in the image to boot. I think the tab key will give
you a list of choices.

Lilo seems to be fine, but win95 isn't. If you reinstall 95 you will have
to run lilo again to restore the boot record. For this reason, you should
make a boot floppy and test it first. You can also do this from the rescue
disk.

I just use the boot floppy for Linux. If I leave it in, the system boots
Linux. If not, it boots w95 from the first drive. I would reverse this if
I knew an easy way to boot from floppy into w95 installed as the 4th
drive. I only use 95 with a 3-D home designer program or to export data
from old files. I have it limited to a 233 mb drive and am almost ready to
move it to an old 105 mb Seagate.

On some of my other systems, I have to use a boot floppy because the
Linux partition is huge and is not located in the first 1024 cylinders.

Paul Wade - Greenbush Technologies Corporation
http://www.greenbush.com/cds.html
Linux CD's sent worldwide