Modem not detected

Hello all
I just installed Debian 1.1 today and it refuses to see my modem
during the boot-up process /dev/cuaX = no such device
I'm new to linux, but not that new...
I have been running RH for a few months.
I ran setserial /dev/cua1 and it returned the correct values
BTW, usr 33.6 pnp ( but jumpers r set to com2 or cua1)
under redhat I had no problems using it, for my ppp connection
I tried minicom out to see if I could get the modem to dial with no luck
I've spent about 3-4 hours looking in the doc's that I can find on the web
and as of yet had no luck.
I hope this isn't on the FAQ list.. or if it is plz send it to me :)

TIA
any and all help is welcome flames pleasently ignored :)

Peter
   __
 / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /  . . .  t h e   c h o i c e   o f   a

*******
There are 2 major products to come out of Berkley: LSD and UNIX. I do not
believe this to be a coincidence.
*******