Case of the bait-and-switch pop daemon

Hi, all--

	I just upgraded a debian 1.1 release machine to debian 1.2.  For
the first time, I used dselect in ftp mode and ran into a couple of
problems, but they were worth the time saved for a blind download of the
whole distribution.  One problem was annoying in particular: dselect
attempted to install netstd before netbase, when there was a reverse
dependency between the two.  Rather than attempting to use dpkg manually, I
chickened out and ran dselect again to add the netstd package.

	Everything went fine; mail started queueing again, telnet ports
accepted connections, wu-ftp was up and running, etc.  There was even a
speeded up response from the server when establishing connections.
However, the server began refusing pop clients in mid-transaction.  They
could USER, PASS, and then were denied access to their mail spools.
Installing popclient and running it from the command line produced the same
output.  After wrangling over config files, purgeing and reinstalling clean
net<foo> packages, I gave up and installed the quallcomm qpopper package
and the problem went away.

	Still, I wonder what may have caused this problem to appear.  Has
anyone got any good explanations?

BK

 Refugees International -- 2639 Conn. Ave, NW, Washington, DC 20008
 Phone: 202-828-0110 Fax: 202-828-0819 www: http://www.refintl.org