Re: problem with setting time

On Wed, 26 Mar 1997, Eugene H. Sevinian wrote:

> Hi All,
> Is there  any magic for setting system time except using
> `date -s 14:20:00 ? I  have it shifted forward by 3 hours each  time
> after rebooting while the board clock is set correct.

Read the man page for 'clock'. This is the command that actually sets the
CMOS clock. Date only sets the system clock, which gets reset from the
CMOS clock on every bootup.
If your timezone is set correctly (use tzconfig if not) then the other
possibility is that you have GMT set wrong. Take a look in
/etc/init.d/boot for the line that defines this variable. If your CMOS
clock is set to Universal Time (look in CMOS setup) then the line should
read 'GMT="-u"'. If you CMOS clock is set to local time (normal in the US)
then the line should read 'GMT=""'.
Once you have these set correctly you can use the clock command to set the
time on the CMOS clock and everything (at least with respect to time)
should work properly.

Luck,

Dwarf