Re: PPPproblem

Michel Beland wrote:

> > Following is
> > an example of my ppp.chatscript.
> >
> [ ... ]
> > word         \qabcdefg\q
>
> This is very bad !  With the \q at the end, the password is shown in
> files /var/log/ppp.log and /var/log/messages, which are readable by
> everyone by default.  You should only specify \qabcdefg so that the
> password is replaced by a string of question marks in log files.
>
> I checked inside ppp_2.2.0f-19.deb, available on the stable tree, and
> the ppp.chatscript that comes with it shows two \q like above.  It is
> declared as bug 7967 since March 19th, 1997, but it still is not
> corrected.  Meanwhile, the Debian Web pages state that most security
> bugs get fixed in 48 hours...
>
> --
> Michel Beland                 beland@CERCA.UMontreal.CA
> professionnel de recherche    tel: (514)369-5223  fax: (514)369-3880
> CERCA (CEntre de Recherche en Calcul Applique)
> 5160, boul. Decarie, bureau 400(423), Montreal (Quebec), Canada, H3X 2H9

I am not familiar with the qabcdefg technique you are discussing.

In order to avoid having my password visible to the world, I break
up my script into two files.  The first file, which I invoke to
connect to my ISP I call 'call-isp' and it looks like this:

pppd connect 'chat -v -f /usr/lib/ppp/isp1' /dev/cua1 19200 debug
passive \
crtscts modem defaultroute kdebug 2

This script calls the file 'isp1' which is only readable by root and
contains
my username, password, and the isp's telephone number:

"" ATDT9342100 CONNECT "" ogin:-BREAK-ogin: <my login id> ssword: <my
password>

Works fine for me.

--
Ken Gaugler  N6OSK  Santa Clara, California
email: keng@wco.com  URL: http://www.wco.com/~keng