Re: PPPproblem

R. Chris Ross wrote:

>      At other places amd at the end there are ppp.log entries that
> say the line is not 8 bit clear and that bit 7 is 0.  What does this
> mean?  At some point my ISP's system was taken out of service for
> maintainance but it may have been at that point that I started
> recieving this second error.
>
>      Any help would be greatly appriciated.
>
>      Chris

Hi Chris:

I may be able to help you. I've seen that "8 bit clear" problem
before when one does not specify their service type in
/etc/ppp.chatscript. To determine what your ISP will transmit
and expect, dialup and login you ISP manually. Following is
an example of my ppp.chatscript.

ABORT        BUSY
ABORT        "NO CARRIER"
ABORT        VOICE
ABORT        "NO DIALTONE"
""           ATDT214-6222
name         vh119001
word         \qabcdefg\q
vice         ppp           <--- notice this line.****

**** my service provider requests a service type, I must answer
     with a ppp to start negotiation. Please note that the strings
     which may be received from you ISP may vary.

This may be the case with you ISP as well. If I leave the last line
out, I will get the "8 bit clear" error in my log file.

	regards

	Peter Iannarelli