Re: which package in bo provides /etc/shells?

Manoj Srivastava:
> 	On my machine, (but I use shadow) it is:

I use shadow. In fact, I've been using the shadow packages from experimental
for 6 months or so, and I somehow lost /etc/shells in the process of upgrading
to the new shadow login and passwd that are now in bo.

> __> dpkg -S /etc/shells
> shadow-passwd: /etc/shells

[joey@kite] ~>dpkg -S /etc/shells
dpkg: /etc/shells not found.

> 	What does dpkg -S say for you? unless the dpkg database is aso
>  trashed, that should be the canonical answer for you.

Yeah, it would be, if it said anything. I notice you're using the old
shadow-passwd package -- the new one is called just "passwd", and has shadow
support, but seems to be missing /etc/shells. This may be bug in the new
package, but I'm not sure. I may have just done something stupid.

But this package does not provide /etc/shells, that's for sure:

[joey@kite] /tmp/it>dpkg --contents passwd_961025-1.deb | grep shells
[joey@kite] /tmp/it>

> 	BTW, I am attaching my /etc/shells so you may rebuild yours
>  manually, if you wish.

Thanks, I already grabbed one off of debian.novare.net.

> ps. What on earth is a flin?

 A color, ncurses-based menu system, intended to be an
 easy login shell for new users.  It understands the
 simple menu syntax that was once used by fvwm-1.xx.
 .
 Flin means "Flin's a Learners Interface to 'Nix Systems."

--