nis

Hi,

I'm having consistent problems with nis and I'm beginning to think that my
system configuration has been garbaged somehow. I'm running kernel 2.0.29
and I just recently tried to update to the lastest version of nis
(2.10-1.2). On my slave machine, I get a message claiming that ypserv and
ypbind have been started and yet, the machine will not bind to my master
machine. Running /etc/init.d/nis start|stop|reload doesn't help this
problem. Downgrading to my old version (2.00) fixes the problem even if I
only downgrade on the slave machine. I've had C-library conflicts before
so, could it be that I need newer libraries (say 5.4.23-2) to run this new
nis? What else could cause this? In addition, even with the older working
version of nis, there is a problem. If I reboot the slave machine, nis,
ypserv, and ypbind get loaded as usual, however, the slave won't bind to
the master *unless* I run /etc/init.d/nis start manually. This second
problem started to occur relatively recently (2 or 3 weeks ago) so,
perhaps there's been a conflict with something I've installed within that
time period but darned if I can figure out what it is.  Any suggestions?
Thanks much.

Jesse Goldman