Problem with rebuilt kernel

Hi all.  I've just recompiled my kernel by going through the

make menuconfig
make dep
make clean
make zlilo

procedure, but the new kernel won't boot properly.  It gets as far as:

VFS:  Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly
Unable to open an initial console

This "Unable to open an initial console" error is driving me nutty.  The
computer just hangs at this point.  The reason I'm able to send mail to
you now is because I backed-up my old kernel.

Some changes I made in the "make menuconfig" configuration were that I
took out PCMCIA support (since I'm not on a laptop) and added triton
chipset support.  I also took out ISDN, ethernet, fddi, and token ring, since
my machine is stand-alone.  I must have made some other changes, though, to
get this nasty error...

Any info on this is greatly appreciated.  Thanks :)

-- Harmon