Re: A lot of errors while installing (dselecting) bo

On Tue, 18 Mar 1997, Andreas Tille wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm the one who frequently asks questions about installing :-(.
>
> I used the ftp-method. Is it right, if I selected
>   [bo non-free distrib]
> or should I use stable (in front of this list) too?

The files are dependant on order.  To update properly you should put what
are expected to be the most recent files at the end of the list.
Otherwise you may not be shown newer files that exist in other tree's.

	[stable contrib non-free Debian1.2-updates unstable]

> When installing the selected files I got many error-messages. Some of
> them are:
>
> 2) The next stands as an example for an error, which occured at many
>    packages:
>
>    findutils_4.1-20.deb:
>      unable to create `usr/bin/find': textfile busy

Should have done a ps -aux to see if find was being used at the time.  If
not check for a lingering lock file.

>    couldn't figure out type of at_3.0.deb
>    Couldn't get info for: unstable/binary-i386/admin/at_3.0
>
> Does anybody think that it is a problem of the unstable tree. But if this
> would be the case anybody would have reported such serious errors before.

I have experienced similar errors when the package list has the wrong file
name in it.  Try D/Ling it yourself and using "dpkg -i [file]".  See if
you get the same errors.  If so I would think the info was corrupted.

--Rick
rickya@siservices.net