Re: Xwindow and mouse

On Fri, 21 Mar 1997, Thanh Ngo wrote:

> Thank you for your quick respone. I haven't done anything about compile a kernel.
> Would you please show me how to do it. I have Debian linux 2.0.0 on my machine.
> Base on your message I think I have MS PS/2 mouse.

Here's a bare bones outline of the steps needed to compile a kernel for
your needs.  To understand them, I recommend looking at documentation in
the kernel source tree, or the relevant sections of a Linux book such as
_Running_Linux_ by Matt Welsh and Lar Kaufmann.

First, you will need to install the kernel source package such as
kernel-source-2.0.27.  Since your X configuration does not work yet, you
will be working in console mode with no mouse.  If you have most of the
debian standard packages installed, then the "menuconfig" option of
kernel configuration will probably be the most user-friendly (see below).

Steps:
	cd /usr/src/linux
	make config (or 'make menuconfig')
	make dep ; make clean
	make zImage
	make modules
	make modules_install

These steps create a compressed kernel image called 'zImage' in a
subdirectory of /usr/src/linux -- you'll see which one if you look after
the 'make zImage' step.  These steps also compile and install the kernel
modules that you selected in the configuration step.  How to reboot the
machine with your new kernel image depends on your method of choice, but
I'd recommend that you add one more step:

	[place a blank floppy in your first floppy drive]
	cd /usr/src/linux
	make zDisk

This creates a boot disk with your latest kernel image.  Now you can
reboot the system using the boot floppy and see if you can get your mouse
to work.  The mouse should be named /dev/psaux as I recall.

Good Luck.  Syrus.

--

Syrus Nemat-Nasser <syrus@ucsd.edu>    UCSD Physics Dept.