Re: MODule players

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003, Robin Beckett wrote:

> > Well, porting over the digital mixer would be interesting, doable very
> > quickly -- just don't cry when a 20 channel song brings your 486 to it's
> > knees :> (A 486dx-50 can sustain about 30 channels with all the asm code
> > in place)
>
> I'm not expecting to play a 20 channel song though, maybe 16 at the most.
> Where the hell do you dig up 20 channel MOD/etc files??? 16 seems to do most
> artists that I've come across, including myself!

I have songs that use inexcess of 34 channels in a single instant. I even
have a 24 channel .MOD file someplace!

High channel modules are not that uncommon, the new IT format doesn't have
an upper limit on the number of channels, they are allocated and destroyed
dynamically so you get the full decay portion of the sample.

> Oh GUS GUS GUS, we want SB! SB! SB! ;-)

I haven't got my SB working with OSS yet, I think I need ISA PNP tools..
It's odd, it doesn't give any errors when I load the sound module, but it
printk's when I try to play on the SB, gus max works great though.

Jason