Re: Linux 2.1.28

On Wed, 12 Mar 1997, Peter Iannarelli wrote:

> 2.	The pppd reports a netmask error once LCP negotiation is
> 	complete even if a netmask is provided in either of the options
> 	files.
>
> 3.	The /etc/init.d/network file is not compatible between
> 	2.1.2 and 2.1.28. A netmask must be provided for network
> 	interface and route definitions or the system will hang on boot.

Hi Peter, and listers, This is my /etc/init.d/network

#!	/bin/sh
ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
route add -net 127.0.0.0

what should I add to define the netmask?
Just add   netmask 255.0.0.0 to the end of my route line?
I use diald and whenever a link is brought up or comes down, it complains
about the netmasks
Any suggestions most appreciated.

If anyone is curious, I've managed to get my sb16 pnp working just fine
now.  My kernel woes were linked to binutils, which for some reason,
either I upgraded or it happened in dselect without my really taking
notice.  Going back to the stable version of binutil allowed me to compile
my now 2.1.20 kernel just fine.  Quake anyone?

Richard Morin
qnc496@durhamnews.net
           Minds, like parachutes, only function when they are open.