ftp with new debian install

I wrote this list last week with this question but I still have not found
the answer.

Problem:  ftp out of the new system has major delays after username requested.

All other services work fine on the system. I can ftp in with know delays. I
can telnet into and out of the new system.

Things checked:

1) resolve.conf and hosts files have been checked against the other debian
system I have. It is debian 1.0 and the new system is the current release.

2) I decided to try a new install and installed the system via ftp download
from the debian site last night. FTP worked fine downloading the packages
from dselect but as soon as I configured the packages I had the same problem
again unusual wait times with ftp.

3) With the latest install I didn't install bind so that it would rule out
the local caching name server. I then went into resolv.conf and entered the
name servers for my domain.

4)I have ran strace and tcpdump to monitor the connections but they don't
show anything wrong.

Things that effect the connection:

1) If I use an ip address instead of hostname for the server I am trying to
ftp into then it works fine.

2) If I ping the other host at the same time I am trying to connect and keep
pinging while issueing the username and passwd along with other ftp commands
the  connection is fast and works fine.

3) Any other service tried such as telnet to the remote host at the same
time I ftp allows for ftp to work fine as long as in the telnet session or
other service there is action going on between it and the remote host I am
ftp'ing to.

4) I have ran nslookup on the hostname in question for my new debian system
and it works fine returning what it should.

Based on what I have here it would seem that ftp is not reading the DNS
correctly when there is a data call. It works fine on inital for connecting
to the remote host as I do get the login prompt as per what it should be. At
that point is when ftp seems to freeze and not no what to do. I can wait at
this point 4 or 5 mins. to then get the passwd prompt and the same for any
commands given such as "ls" or "cd". Even logging out of the system does the
same with the "bye" command. Long delay before it quits.

I have tried local system ftp sessions in my own network and also remote ftp
sessions outside my network and all are the same with delays.

Any help would be apreciated.
Brian Freeze
Deltastar Communications Ltd
RR#2