mail addresses not recognized on the mail host

Hi,
Our local network has a mail server (ehess.cnrs-mrs.fr).
Any mail (sent  directely or through pine) to an external server
from my PC with linux reaches its aim without problem.
However, any mail sent to a local user (such as s.b.@ehess. etc)
fails and generates a "s.b.@ehess.cnrs-mrs.fr user unknown" message.
Yet my /etc/hosts and /etc/aliases files seem OK.
More surprising, there is no problem from another similar PC running linux,
but we don't see why it's so (the config. *seem* similar).
As client, something like a sendmail.cf file may not be necessary.
Ideas ?
Thanks,

Jean-Paul LACHARME. GREQAM UMR 9990 au CNRS, Centre de la Vieille Charite,
2,rue de la Charite,F13002 MARSEILLE FRANCE. Tel:0491140731/Fax:0491900227.