Re: How do I Get my Server On-Line

Pete Poff wrote:

> Hi,
>         could anyone tell me all the steps of things I need to do and
> things to get to put my server on-line 24 hours a day 7 days a week, and
> make it so that I can telnet to it?
>
> thanks alot,
>
>                      Pete Poff---AKA---BlackJack
>            Personal E-Mail Address: ppoff01@mail.coin.missouri.edu
>            Kyron E-Mail Address:    blackjack@cybercon.com
>            Kyron address:           telnet.cyberconinc.com 4000

I do it all the time for people here in the "woods" of Maine. We can't
afford dedicated lines when the loop mileage gets high.

Assuming you have ppp running ok - meaning that pon and poff commands
will connect and disconnect you from the dialup:

1) Add the persist option to /etc/ppp.options_out to keep reconnecting
whenever you lose the connection.

2) Rename /etc/ppp/no_ppp_on_boot to /etc/ppp/ppp_on_boot in case the
system reboots when you are away.

3) If you get a dynamic ip address, you may need to run a script that
will email you the current ip or if the possible range of addresses is
narrow make your login screen unique. Then you can telnet to possible
addresses without actually attempting to login to the wrong system.

Paul Wade, CEO
Greenbush Technologies Corporation
Web:	http://www.greenbush.com/
Email:	mailto:paulwade@greenbush.com