Re: Video Cards

>     I am about to buy a new machine.  Gateway 2000 is attractive, but
>it uses a 2mb Matrox card (model not specified, and the salesman
>doesn't know) standard, and offers STB ViRGE /VX 4 and 8 mb cards as
>options.  The latest Hardware-HOWTO I have found (v6969, 14 November
>1995) doesn't list these cards as being supported in XFree86.
>
>     Does anyone have any experience running these cards under X?
>
>     What does "ViRGE" mean?  It is printed with a trade mark symbol
>following it, as if it is proprietary, but I notice several brands of
>cards use it in their model names.
>
>Bob

Some Matrox cards use a popular 3D accelerator chip named S3 ViRGE/VX.
"ViRGE" is just a model name S3 uses to differentiate from their plain old
non-3D chips. "ViRGE /VX" is the same as the "ViRGE" model except that it
uses the much faster VRAM and hence the g'damned high retail price.

Though the Matrox card is not listed in XFree86, I'm pretty sure you may
use the "Generic S3 ViRGE/VX" servers/drivers. I have been using a card
with S3 ViRGE/VX configured with the Generic driver for months now and it
works GREAT.

Just make sure you have/download the appropriate X Server files :-
  xserver-s3v  =>   for the S3 ViRGE and VIRGE/VX based graphic cards.
  xserver-s3   =>   for the other S3 based graphic cards.

Forget about the Hardware-HOWTO goto http://www.debian.org/FTP/x11.html for
more info.

Good luck.
Psikotic