Strange problem with debian install

Greetings to the list.

I am having a problem with my debian install and I was wondering if anyway
else has any solutions?

1)  I just installed the lasted release of debian on a pentium 166 system
with 64 megs of ram. This system has a pci etherlink XL card in it.

Problem: I am having major delays in ftp'ing or telneting to any site from
this system. When I try I get excessive delays when prompted for a username
and passwd from the remote system. Once I get through that I also have the
same delays if I use any commands such as "cd" or "ls" or give a command to
download a file.

Funny part of the problem is if I ping the address I am telneting to from
another login prompt at the same time I am trying to ftp or telnet, the
session will work fine quite fast actually. Also if I use and ip address the
reaction time is good for the connection. Ftp'ing and telneting into the new
system works fine from any of my other systems one being linux and the other
2 being win95 machines.

Both linux machines are running debian the system in question running debian
1.2 and the other system running debian 1.0.  I have checked to see if the
DNS setup for the machines is differant but both are running caching only
name servers and the /etc/hosts files and /etc/resolv.conf files are much
the same. Even if I have the remote address that I want to connect to in the
/etc/hosts file I still get the delays.

Any ideas of what could be causing this?

Brian Freeze
Deltastar Communications Ltd
RR#2
Belleisle Cr.