gnuplot-beta327__(3.6)__

Hi,
  I have been trying to compile gnuplot to work without X. I have managed to
get is working but, only if I log on as root. Apparently in the
"./term/linux.trm" file there is a piece of code that disables linux vga
(?svga) mode if 'uid' does not indicate root. When I commented this out it
compiled but wouldn't run. It gives some I/O error when trying to initialise
my video card. I noticed the same thing when I ran SVGATextMode, it only
allowed me to run it as root.
  Please could some-one tell me how to disable this feature?
Thanks
Jon.