Re: need help; Netscape 3.01; bus error

Eugene H. Sevinian wrote:

> This version  of Netscape which I have installed recently works very
> bad. I am getting this error very often.
>
> Will be thankfull for any advice.

One of my users complained that Netscape would "bus error"
whenever he tried to use it to send email.  I found this
very odd since it _only_ happened to him.  I spent about
an hour figuring out what was wrong.

Netscape stores a user's address book in ~/.netscape/address-book.html.
Note that the format looks like HTML.  This user had recently added
a user to his address book and had pasted information from an email
message into the description field.  The information contained ">"
characters.  Netscape saved the address book file with the new info
included very litterally.  This made the file look like an HTML file
with bad syntax and Netscape core dumped every time it tried to read
the address book with that entry.  This is a bug netscape.

If this sounds like the same bug you're encountering, try renaming
your ~/.netscape/address-book.html file so Netscape won't find it.
Then either re-enter all of your address book data being careful
of what you put in the description fields or copy the file back
to ~/.netscape/address-book.html and use an editor to fix the
description fields until Necscape no longer chokes on it.

If this doesn't sound like the bug you're stumbling over, at
least I've warned a few people about this nasty one.