getwd error with amd

Greetings!  When running a program from the shell under a directory
automounted with amd, I often get the following error:

shell-init: could not get current directory: \getwd: cannot access
parent directories

The actual mount directory on my system is /a and the automount point
is /mnt.  This error is frequently reported under directories /mnt/*.

Any ideas?  This /mnt directory just contains symbolic links.  Can't
getwd handle that?

Thanks!

--
cmaguire@enhanced.com				      Camm Maguire
"The earth is one country, and mankind its citizens."  Baha'u'llah