Strange network problems

Greetings to the list.

I have installed the latest version of debian on a pentium 166 system 64 meg
of ram. I installed to a second hard disk on the unit with win95 on the 1st
disk. I have no problems with the win95 boot and usage.

I have an etherlink 3Com PCI card installed.

This is the problem:

If I telnet out or ftp out I wait long periods of time for the username to
be excepted then the passwd. From there it is the same for "ls" or any other
command. For example. System www2.deltastar.nb.ca is the system with the new
debian release on it and www.deltastar.nb.ca is the my main system with
debian 1.2 on it. BTW both systems have the same hardware as in system and
ethernet cards.

I telnet or ftp over to www.deltastar.nb.ca and it takes forever to login
and do anything. If I login into the www2 system from www it is real fast
and know problems. Every ftp or telnet site I try from www2 takes forever to
get into and get anything done.

One other strange thing is when I telnet or ftp from the www2 system to www
system I tried pinging back at the same time I was logging in. When I do
that the www2 system can get onto www fine real fast.

I was thinking this could be related to DNS and the install of a caching
only name server on the www2.deltastar.nb.ca system but I am not sure. Both
system have valid ip's and valid DNS lookup.

Any help on this would sure be apreciated.
Brian Freeze
Deltastar Communications Ltd
RR#2
Belleisle Cr.