Re: Can't nfs mount Debian box

fh@crosslink.net wrote:

> Hi...
>
> I'm having trouble nfs mounting a Debian box from other machines... 'ps
> -aux' indicates rpc.portmap, update, nfsiod (4 instances), kerneld,
> inetd, bootpd, rpc.nfsd, rpc.mount, rpc.ugidd.  Other processes seem to
> be working well (apache, netscape, in.telnetd, bash, emacs)...  Still a
> variety of machines (linux, NeXT, Sparc) can't mount correctly configured
> /etc/exports (i.e. '/   trusty(rw,no_root_squash)...
>
> What can I do to ferret out this problem?  Any immediate clues as to
> what's going on?
>
> TIA

I don't know if I can help but here's an attempt.  I have about 30
Debian systems some SGIs and a few Suns at work with NFS running well.

When you edit your /etc/exports file on a Linux system you need to
tell rpc.nfsd and rpc.mountd to re-read it.  You do this by sending
them a HUP signal.  I use this command:

   killall -HUP rpc.nfsd rpc.mountd

Rebooting should work too but is much slower.  If this doesn't work,
carefully check your /etc/exports file while reading the "exports" man
page to be sure it's correct.

Good luck...