Re: TeTeX for Debian

Christoph Martin wrote:

> Alain Nadeau <nadeau@cybernetic.ch> writes:
>

> > Just a quick word of thanks and congratulations to Christoph Martin for
> > his porting Thomas Esser's TeTeX to Debian. One word: superb. It was the
> > one thing I missed from my pre-Debian days. Thanks also to Craig Sanders
> > for his purge & install script! It did the trick.
> >

> Ups... Did I miss this script? Where did he send it? I'm just trying
> to get upgrade smoother.
>
> Could you send it to me?
>
> Thanks,
>         Christoph

Well, perhaps I overstated what I meant. There was a bit of a confusion
right after the package was released as to what the correct install
procedure was, ie: purge the old TeX/LaTeX first, and only then install
TeTeX. Craig just posted the following as being a correct way of doing
it:

dpkg --purge --force-depends amslatex amstex babel bibtex dvipsk
kpathsea kpathsea-dev latex latex2e-doc ltxmisc ltxtool makeindex
mfbasfnt mfdcfnt mflib mfnfss ps2pk psnfss texbin texi2html texinfo
texlib texpsfnt textmf xdvik

Then use dpkg or dselect to install the tetex packages.

(assuming you have a mirror of debian mounted at /debian:)

cd /debian
dpkg -i bo/binary/tex/tetex-base_0.4pl6-2.deb
bo/binary/tex/tetex-bin_0.4pl6-4.deb
bo/binary/tex/tetex-dev_0.4pl6-4.deb
bo/binary/tex/tetex-doc_0.4pl6-1.deb
bo/binary/tex/tetex-extra_0.4pl6-2.deb

I called it a "script" (perhaps wrongly), maybe "procedure" would have
been more to the point. In any event, it had made clear to me (not a
dpkg scholar) how to smoothly get the thing done.

Thanks again for TeTeX,

Alain.

--
Alain Nadeau		    nadeau@cybernetic.ch