Re: xdm : always reply "login incorrect"

On Wed, 12 Mar 1997 01:38:45 +0100 Mathieu LEGRAND
(Mathieu.Legrand@emi.u-bordeaux.fr) wrote:

> I just installed Debian Linux 1.2 from Infomagic Pack.
> I have a problem I can't fix, maybe you will help me :
>   When I start Linux, xdm starts with the graphic banner
> login but I can't log in from it : it always replies
> "login incorrect". I have then to log in text mode and
> to enter startx... Do you have any idea ?

You wouldn't have installed the shadow passwords package, would you ?
If it's not the problem, as Bruce pointed out, it could be a key mapping problem...
Form your name and your email address (salut, bienvenue au club), I suppose you have a French keyboard. You must run xmodmap when xdm starts...
Some questions:
 1) How is the mapping when you log on the console and then startx ?
 2) How is the mapping under xdm (you can type the characters when asked Login: and see what you get) ?
 3) Did you take special provisions during the install for a French keyboard ?
    Which ones ?

Phil.