Well what would be a good subject then?

Please if you have time just skim this message and maybe you can show off
your knowledge :)

1) Is there a way to turn on Numlock by default, or better yet, to
prevent it from being turned off?  My BIOS sets Numlock to ON when I boot,
but when I load the kernel (with lilo) it turns numlock off. :(  Is there
a way to make it leave it on, or to turn it back on on all my Virtual
TTYs?  (I've put the setleds command in /etc/init.d/ but that only effects
the first Virtual Console, even when I set the 'defaults')

2) Currently I have 6 Virtual Console lines in my inittab, but I've heard
that there's a way to only have one of those lines, and to be able to
create Virtual Consoles on demand by pressing Alt-Uparrow or something.
Is there a way to do this?  It seems kind of pointless to have six gettys
running when I'm only using 2, and it's a pain when I am using up all 6
VCs and need more.

3) Speaking of Alt-Uparrow, is this the same thing as 'kbrequest' in
inittab, and why doesn't either of them work?  Is there a way I can bind
keys to make initd do commands?

4) Is there a way to disable the Visual-Bell?  A lot of my programs (like
less) have options to turn off the bell, but they say "If your console has
a Visual Bell, it will be used instead."  Well that stupid flashing is
even more annoying than the bell I'm trying to get rid of! :)  Is there a
way to disable the Visual Bell?

5) I just installed shadow-login_960810, shadow-passwd_960810, and
shadow-su_960810 on my system.  Everything works fine, but I was wondering
if there was any way to customize 'login'.  For one, if you have a 'login
incorrect' (coz of misspelt names or wrong passwords or wahtever) it take
about 3 very annoying seconds to retry.  Is there a way to make it ask for
a new login: immediately instead of waiting?  I'm guessing that the pause
is a 'feature' to deter password guessers from breaking in, but I think
it's just annoying and would rather have it turned off.

6) Another login question: my host name is res154002.wsu.edu because I'm
living in a dorm, and whenever I get the login prompt it always says
"res154002 login:".  Well, I know this is just being picky, but is there a
way to make it not say res154002?  It looks really tacky.  I'd rather it
just say "login:".  Is there a place where I can get the source for a
'login' with shadow capability so I can just edit all these options in a
config.h or something?

Ok, well that's all the questions I can think of for now...  I've asked
other questions on this list and have gotten friendly responses - thanks!
I've gotten all my modules in a basket and am using zsh now :)  Oh, and a
note to people thinking of converting shells: if you switch to zsh and
think of switching your /bin/sh link to zsh instead of bash, you'll get a
bunch of errors when running /etc/init.d/rc, so don't do it!  hehe, I had
that problem today and got a bunch of "/etc/init.d/rc: no such file or
directory" errors or something like that...

Later Gators!