Re: Mathematica [was "What is the typical response from i-Connect?"]

On 10 Mar 1997, Norris Preyer wrote:

> zachary@bit.csc.lsu.edu (John Zachary) writes:
>
> > Also, has anyone experience with Mathematica 3.0 on Debian? I called and
> > chatted to a nice lady at Wolfram who told me that as long as a.out and
> > ELF binaries are supported, Mathematica plays nice with Linux. However,
> > you never know if there are other 'gotchas' lurking underneath the surface.
> >
> > John
> >
> I don't know what the bit about a.out is about, for file reports:
> Mathematica: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 386, version 1, stripped
>
> Version 3.0 is *very* nice, with the entire 1400 page book available
> via on-line help, along with classy typography.  It also takes 116Mb
> for a full install, as well as Motif (I don't know if lesstif would
> work).  It seems very fast and stable---Wolfram Research took the time
> to do this right.

I have Mathematica 3.0 installed, and it didn't require motif.  The 3.0
version is very nice....  My alternative was mathematica for win95, and
the win95 version was very slow compared to the linux version.

> I've not yet experimented with notebook-->html pages and the like, but
> there's lots of fun stuff to explore.  Is there a Linux (or Debian)
> Mathematica group??
>
> --Norris
>
> --
> Norris Preyer			(541) 962-3310 (office)
> Physics Program			(541) 962-3873 (fax)
> Eastern Oregon State College	npreyer@eosc.osshe.edu
> La Grande, OR  97850		http://140.211.64.20/npreyer.html

Scott Stanley

Applied Mechanics and Engineering Sciences Dept.
University of California, San Diego
La Jolla, CA 92093-0411
sstanley@ucsd.edu