Re: rsh don' t work?!?

I think this is what Andrea was trying to do:

#rsh localhost ls
permission denied
#echo "localhost hessu" >> .rhosts
#rsh localhost ls
Mail
News
bin
[rest of the listing cut]

Andrea, you need at least a 'hostname user' line in $HOME/.rhosts on the
computer you want to remotely log in to. See rlogin(1) and rsh(1). You may
also need to specify your login name with the '-l' option if they are
different on your local and remote hosts. Read the mans, they are fine :)

One occasion where I found rsh very useful was when I was trying to create a
CD-ROM image with my friend. We had two networked computers which both had
less than 1200 megs of free space and thus were incapable to hold the finished
CD-ROM image and source files at the same time. Since we couldn't mount the
disks over nfs we put the source files to host1 and did something like this on
it:

# mkisofs /path/to/the/image/files | rsh host2 'cat > cd.image'

The image data from mkisofs was piped to rsh and over the network to host2
where it was put in the file cd.image. The '-quotes are necessary to keep the
shell on host1 from seeing the redirection character >.

// Heikki
--
Heikki Vatiainen                  * hessu@cs.tut.fi
Tampere University of Technology  * Tampere, Finland