Re: nslookup

On Sun, 9 Mar 1997, Gith wrote:

> > However, to get it to work with nslookup, add one of the following
> > lines to /var/named/named.local:
> >
> > [...deleted...]
> >
> > remember to update (increment) the serial number in both files, and
> > get named to reload its database with 'ndc reload'.
>
> Ok, I tried this and it didn't work either. I even remembered to
> update the serial numbers. :) Any other ideas? This bind/named thing
> seems tough....

i knew there was something wrong with what i posted - i should have
taken the time to check it again before posting it. ignore it, it's
garbage (what i posted would make a dns record for 'mybox.localhost'
which is not what you wanted).

to get an entry for 'mybox.quicklink.net' you need to have write access
to the zone files for the quicklink.net domain. i.e. if you are not
hostmaster for that domain your only option is to send off a request to
whoever is responsible for that domain.

even then it should not point to 127.0.0.1 - that ALWAYS points to the
localhost for whoever looks it up. i.e. your machine for you, my machine
for me, etc etc. in other words, it would be useless.

you must have a reason for wanting to get the info from nslookup - maybe
there's another way to get the same result. In most cases, an entry in
/etc/hosts as detailed by someone else in this thread will be all that
is needed.

if you've written a script based around nslookup, then you may be better
off rewriting it so that it uses the resolver library - then it can make
use of /etc/hosts AND dns.

craig