rebuilt kernel with sbpcd

Following the instructions in sbpcd (the README for release 4.2 or newer of the
SoundBlaster Pro CD-ROM driver for Linux) I rebuilt the kernel with no apparent
improvement.  The driver still spends many long seconds probing for a LaserMate
at startup (I can access data CDs).

During the `make config' procedure I'm able to select the following:

            SCSI support                     (CONFIG_SCSI)
            SCSI disk support                (CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD)
            SCSI CD-ROM support              (CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR)
            ISO9660 cdrom filesystem support (CONFIG_ISO9660_FS)

but not Matsushita CD-ROM support (CONFIG_SBPCD) or any of its alternatives.
 Is there something else I need to select first to be given this choice?  I
have a SoundBlaster 16 with a Panasonic CR-562B.

Thanks.

Mike

--
Michael Hill