Re: Locate

> > 	when I use locate I get an error.  This is what I get if I type
> > like locate <what ever>.  Like locate new.stuff.  I get locate:
> > /var/lib/locate/locatedb: No suck file or directory.  Can anyone tell me
> > why?  And is there a command to see how much disk space I have left?
> >
> > Thanks,
> Hi Pete
> 	not sure about the locate cmd but to see you current disk usage
> use the df command. look at man df and also man locate.

Locate searches through a database of files stored on your machine. You
can create or update this file at any time as root, by running
'updatedb'. This ensures that the db exists and is up to date.

John

John Ireland                                                 JCR Computer Rep
Jesus College, OX1 3DW                                jireland@jesus.ox.ac.uk

(01865) 511290                            http://www.jesus.ox.ac.uk/~jireland

`It is a wise man who knows when to quit.'   (finger jireland@jesus.ox.ac.uk)