Broken Terminal after telnet or rlogin

Hello debians!

I've just installed a small debian system (1.2.4, but ftp updated)
My update configuration is stable non-free contrip.

All things works just fine, but:

** Sometimes some programs (ae, dselect) don't like the cursor keys.
** Instead I get those dam**d escape sequences. In fact, this happens
** when I telnet or rlogin via PPP to a hpux remote system and set my
** terminal type to vt100 (on the remote system). After disconnecting, I
** have this error.

The hpux supports vt100 vt220 hpterm xterm ibm3161
I know, that this is eventually no debian related question, but
I don't know who to ask, and I have not installed a news server.
(the next big task). If you feel offended by this, please excuse me and
send this mail to /dev/null.

** Can anybody help?
** Thank you!