Re: zsh vs bash

On 8 Mar 1997, Richard Sharman wrote:

[completion control]
>   compctl (completion) has been setup to complete for a variable name
>   if the command is "export".   While the zsh seemed easier,  I guess
>   the bash approach allows you to control it more.)

I hope that's a typo.. The zsh way is more powerful.
looking in /usr/doc/zsh/examples there are several examples of how
to use zsh's advanced completion control.

Example: if i type kill -H<tab>, zsh fills in UP.
Next, I type sys<tab>, and zsh fills in klogd.
The hyphen tells zsh that I want a signal to be completed,
and the "kill" starting the line tells zsh I want a job
to be completed.

[bash]
> * Ability to interactively define keyboard macros (similar to within

Tried the 'bindkey'-command yet?

I use zsh to have alt-d mapped to dir<enter>, I also have alt-z
mapped to ../<enter> (making zsh go to parent directory). I have
alt-l mapped to <pipe>list<enter>. They prove very useful.

I also use bindkey to get INS and DEL keys working properly in the shell.

  // Jonas <job@abc.se> [2:201/262.37]