Re: pine producing gratuitous folder locks

"David C. Winters" <winters@giri.intro.cs.cmu.edu> writes:

[snip: wrong /tmp permissions]

> That was it--my clue was when X didn't start either.  Now I need to try to
> track down whatever it was I did that changed its perms.  I posted my
> question too soon--sorry, everyone, for the wasted bandwidth.

It happened to me once when I tarred up ".", then untarred it in /tmp
to check it went right.  /tmp got the permissions of the original "."
directory.  (Moral: don't "tar .", instead "tar .* *" in zsh, and/or
be careful untarring as root.)

--
                Carey Evans  <*>  c.evans@clear.net.nz

"Linux and Linux-like systems such as UNIX(R) and FreeBSD..."
    - Yggdrasil Computing, <pgpmoose.199702180607.14425@liw.clinet.fi>