Local X application defaults

Where should I put the app-defaults files of locally installed (non-Debian,
in /usr/local/) X applications?

Thus far I've just put them in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/, even though
/usr/doc/xbase/debian.README says I shouldn't do that... (I don't really
want to cat them all to the end of /etc/X11/Xresources, since some are quite
big and it's tedious to remove stuff from it. And I don't want to create
custom Debian packages for every nonstandard X application I install, just
to get `legal' app-defaults.)

Is there a Debian-specific place for them? Can X be set to read app-defaults
files in /usr/local/X11/app-defaults/ (or whatever) in addition to the
normal directory?

--
-=- Rjs -=- rjs@spider.compart.fi, rjs@lloke.dna.fi