libraries

Hi,

  I was wondering what the difference is between lib*.so and lib*.a
libraries and is there any way to switch between them?  For examples, I
have in my /lib directory libtermcap.so, but when I try to compile stuff
with that library I get an error from the compiler saying that the library
doesn't exist.  I checked the man pages for the compiler and it said that
the libraries it looks for are in the lib*.a format.  Is there a way to
convert lib*.so to lib*.a?

Thanks,
Rich