Base14 seg fault (msgId for labeling)

Hello,

I recently started trying to install Debian and have been running into
problems with the base14 1-4 disks.  The disks are read correctly, but when
the files are extracting, I get:

Segmentation fault
Segmentation fault
Segmentation fault

I've downloaded the base14 files again and created new floppies on two
machines with no luck.

I am VERY new to UNIX/Linux and don't much about this type of error, however
I think it has something to do with a corrupt file on the distribution.  I
obtained the Base14 files from ftp.debian.org (current) and downloaded
twice.  The floppies were created on Win95 systems using rawwrite2.exe.

I did get the system up, but man doesn't exist on the system and the only
book I have is "Teach yourself UNIX" (very beginner).  I says nothing about
installing the system, connecting to the Internet or a LAN; only how to
navigate the directories, manipulate files and use some of the tools I am
vaguely familiar with from experience in setting up Web sites on remote Web
servers (Telnet).

I would assume that the Segmentation fault error indicates that the Base
system has not been completely installed?  Out of frustration, I did
something like "gunzip -r /*" to uncompress the rest of the files installed
late last night.  This may not have been a good idea, but the system still
functions and I have gotten quite used to running the install.  ; )  Figured
I had nothing to lose!

I have a plethora of additional problems, but here are some good ones to
start with:

        Connecting to the local network
                (Win95 LAN is running Ethernet TCP/IP and IPX
                but I don't know the appropriate IPs for
                the 2 Network systems, net mask,) anything else for that matter
        Accessing the floppy drive
        Accessing the modem in an attempt to reach the debian FTP site
                (or the Internet for that matter)
        On and on and on...

Any help in any area will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Donny