Procmail

I know this isn't strictly a debian related issue, but since I am trying
to sort the mail from this list I had hoped someone might be able to help.

I am trying to get procmail set up on an HP workstation (no root
access).  I have managed to get a .procmailrc file worked out, and I
think I am close to getting the .forward worked out.  But not quite...
First, the example .forward file does not work on my HP machine.  Causes
a nice mess of my incoming mail (basically I receive none of it) followed
by a nice discussion with the sysadmin wanting to know what the devil I
am doing.....

In any case, playing with vacation on the machine (for examples of the
.forward file), I have managed to come up with,

\sstanley, "|/home/mustang/grad/sstanley/bin/procmail -f- VERBOSE=on"

The first \sstanley just makes sure the mail is copied directly to my
inbox before trying to run it through procmail.  Otherwise, I think it is
trying to run procmail, but I am getting a returned mail message with the
error;

sh: procmail not available for sendmail programs
554 "|/home/mustang/grad/sstanley/bin/procmail -f- VERBOSE=on"... Service
unavailable

Does anyone have any suggestions??  A pointer to some documentation on
the format of this type of thing in the .forward file would be great.
The sendmail man page mentions .forward, but only briefly, and I can not
find any reference to it anywhere else.  I am pretty much working blind
here....

Scott